Thursday, 10 January 2013

New Year, Same Thoughts...about Hair

     
         I am not sure if I have outright said this, but I want my views on hair to be painfully clear. I am apathetic about natural hair. Yep, that's right. Natural hair does not excite me. Hair in general does not excite me. I think hair is an auxiliary part of who we are. It is an accessory. It can help make us look better or it can make us look worse.
      What does excite me is the learning process. I enjoy forming hypotheses about the world around me and debunking myths about said world with evidence. I became excited about learning about natural hair care because there have been many unfounded "facts" about natural hair. Because I have natural hair, I was personally interested in it and wanted to demystify natural hair. Natural hair, like the multiple other things I am interested in, is simply a topic that I wanted to learn more about.
       I started FroEnvy for three reasons. First. It is a means to share all of the knowledge I have gained about natural hair with people who are interested. Second, I wanted a reference point of easy to read, digestible information about natural hair where I could send curious naturals. At the time, I got daily inquiries about my hair and I used the antiquated method of "door-to-door" consultations.This was not efficient and I realized that a blog was the better way. Third, I wanted to offer a dissenting view on mainstream natural hair. I wanted to illustrate that there are people in the real world with beautiful hair who neither neglect their hair nor obsess over natural hair.
        I continue to write the blog because the three primary reasons for blogging still hold true for me. Eventually, I will stop writing this blog; most likely because I will have satisfied my curiosity with natural hair. Much like caterpillars and makeup, I will eventually reach my fill and continue with my love of learning onto something new.
        I write this particular post because of the flood of questions I have been getting about my hair and my thoughts on natural hair. The questions I have been getting seemed to highlight a level of miscommunication. Anyone who knows me understands that I value directness, truth, and for lack of a better word, "realness".
       So, here are my thoughts on natural hair. Glean from them whatever you like.
  1. Natural hair is overrated. 
  2. I do not like twist outs. I don't see the point of learning to love our individual textures if we are going to make cookie cutter "textures" from twist outs. Same goes for braid outs, pin curls, and Bantu knots. 
  3. I do not believe in the natural hair community. The natural hair community overemphasizes the importance of healthy natural hair. This goes back to the first bullet point. 
  4. I am excited for people who learn to love their hair. Not because hair is important, but because it a step closer to overall self love. If arms were hated on as much as natural hair was, I would be writing a blog about ArmEnvy and sharing knowledge about arms. 
  5. I don't care about other peoples' hair. All I want is for other people to be happy with their own hair. When people are happy with themselves, they glow. I love seeing that and it makes me happy for them.Other than that, I could give two shits about what someone else is doing to their own head because its not my head. 
  6. I do not have hair idols. This relates to the previous bullet. I don't care enough about someone else's  hair to compare/compete with them. I just look to make my hair the best it can be and disseminate  any knowledge with others so they can make their own hair the best it can be ( or not, refer back to number 5). 
  7. I don't watch hair videos. I used to watch lots of hair videos to gain knowledge. However, I watched the videos in conjunction to reading research articles. I eventually realized that the videos were not offering anything new so I just stuck to the articles. 
  8. I don't follow many other hair blogs/channels/forums. This touches on points: 3,5,6,and 7. 
  9. I rarely wear my hair in an afro. I used to wear my hair in an afro a lot when it was shorter. I wasn't taking part in a movement. I wore it that way because I liked the style and my hair just grew that way. Now that my hair is longer, it doesn't make the 'fro shape anymore and thus I no longer wear it in an afro...well, unless there's a lot of humidity in the air.
Until next time! Remember to have fun and make memories with those you love! (Speaking of which, me and one of my besties!)


Xoxo,
froEnvy




4 comments:

  1. I feel you, especially on the "fakeness" on the natural hair community. And the beehive mentality is so strong. It seems sometimes like we have exchanged one form of tyranny (relaxers) for another (going natural).

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes! It's to be expected because most people enjoy being part of a crowd. It's not a bad thing. I just wish people would stop pretending that this revolution is something new.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This was such a powerful and funny post...it literally sums up how I feel about hair. Points 3 and 6 are probably my favorites and the analogy about hair:arm envy is on so direct and true. If you wanna cut your hair, then do so; if you want to perm your hair, then do so. This isn't a movement, its hair.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am happy that there are others that feel the same way. Thanks for the feedback, it's greatly appreciated!:D

    ReplyDelete