Long time! I've been working on a project and I wanted to dedicate my efforts towards perfecting it before the big reveal!
Well.....What is it!?
I LEARNED HOW TO MAKE HAIR LOTION!!!
What exactly is lotion?
Lotion is essentially an emulsion. An emulsion is a solution that is a mixture of water, oil, and an emulsifier. Emulsifiers keep water and oil mixed together.
What is in lotion?
When you buy a lotion, all you are basically getting is water, a humectant, an oil, an emulsifier, and a preservative.
That sounds so simple! How do I go about making my own lotion?
I'm so glad you asked! I have been bursting at the seams waiting to share this information. Here is how:
How to Make Hair Lotion:
You will need:
- Vegetable Glycerin
- Coconut oil (any oil of your choosing will do, but my hair really likes coconut oil)
- Microwave/ stove top
- Measuring cups
- Containers to store your mixture
- Fragrance oil (optional)
- Citric acid (optional)
- First gather all of your ingredients! Just like when you're cooking or baking, it is important to have all of your ingredients ready. You will need vegetable glycerin, water ( preferably distilled), coconut oil, a preservative, and citric acid.
- Start by melting your emulsifying wax. I used a microwave to melt my wax, but you can use a stove top. Just make sure the particles are completely melted. It should look like this.
- Wait until the melted emulsifying wax becomes room temperature and then mix it with your oil.
|You guys know how much I love coconut oil!|
- Once your oils are mixed and cooling, it is time to mix your liquid ingredients. The liquids are the water, vegetable glycerin, and the preservative.
*I chose to use a preservative called Germaben II. When using preservatives, you only need a small amount (about 2-3% of your total mixture)
- Once you mix your liquids, add them to the blender and then add your oils. When the emulsion and water mixes it makes a cool reaction!
|Told you it was neat!!|
*Here is where I add some citric acid to lower the pH and my fragrance! These are both optional. Your lotion will turn out great even if you do not do this step:D
- You're done! Place your lotion in your container! Your lotion will have a watery consistency, but as it cools, it will thicken!
|Kinda looks like milk|
- Allow lotion to cool and set and you're ready to enjoy.