Wednesday, 7 March 2012

How To: Fro Envy Hair Lotion


Long time! I've been working on a project and I wanted to dedicate my efforts towards perfecting it before the big reveal!

Well.....What is it!?

I LEARNED HOW TO MAKE HAIR LOTION!!!



What exactly is lotion?

Lotion is essentially an emulsion. An emulsion is a solution that is a mixture of water, oil, and an emulsifier. Emulsifiers keep water and oil mixed together. 

What is in lotion?

When you buy a lotion, all you are basically getting is water, a humectant, an oil, an emulsifier, and a preservative. 

That sounds so simple! How do I go about making my own lotion? 

I'm so glad you asked! I have been bursting at the seams waiting to share this information. Here is how:

How to Make Hair Lotion: 


You will need: 
  • Water
  • Vegetable Glycerin
  • Coconut oil (any oil of your choosing will do, but my hair really likes coconut oil)
  • Microwave/ stove top
  • Blender
  • Measuring cups
  • Containers to store your mixture
  • Fragrance oil (optional)
  • Citric acid (optional)

Directions: 

  • First gather all of your ingredients! Just like when you're cooking or baking, it is important to have all of your ingredients ready. You will need vegetable glycerin, water ( preferably distilled), coconut oil, a preservative, and citric acid. 

  • Start by melting your emulsifying wax. I used a microwave to melt my wax, but you can use a stove top. Just make sure the particles are completely melted. It should look like this.
Before

Before 

After


  • Wait until the melted emulsifying wax becomes room temperature and then mix it with your oil.
You guys know how much I love coconut oil!

  •  Once your oils are mixed and cooling, it is time to mix your liquid ingredients. The liquids are the water, vegetable glycerin, and the preservative.



*I chose to use a preservative called Germaben II. When using preservatives, you only need a small amount (about 2-3% of your total mixture) 

  • Once you mix your liquids, add them to the blender and then add your oils. When the emulsion and water mixes it makes a cool reaction!
Told you it was neat!!
  • Next, blend it all together until it makes a liquid consistency!




*Here is where I add some citric acid to lower the pH and my fragrance! These are both optional. Your lotion will turn out great even if you do not do this step:D

  • You're done! Place your lotion in your container! Your lotion will have a watery consistency, but as it cools, it will thicken! 
Kinda looks like milk



  • Allow lotion to cool and set and you're ready to enjoy. 




xoxo

Fro Envy

7 comments:

  1. Welcome back, how exactly do you use this? As your leave in or what?

    ReplyDelete
  2. What are the measurements for the hair lotion recipe?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey Anonymous! This is a leave-in. Shawn, the measurements will have to remain top secret:D

    ReplyDelete
  4. Awesome! I can't wait to try something like this in the future. My hair loves lotion-like moisturizers and this seems so simple.

    P.S. You look super cute! ^_^

    ReplyDelete
  5. From naturalist to another, could you please tell how much water you are suppose to use, and how much emulsifier you should add for making the hair lotion. I am not asking for your formula, I would just like to make my own. Or at least could you tell us what website you got your calculations from to make your hair lotion the right consistency. Thanks sooo much.

    ReplyDelete
  6. for those of you who want a formula for making a hair lotion formula, go to (teach soap.com), and click on the lotion part, it will show you the basic formula for lotion making, and you can kind of adjust the oils, to fit the amount you need. Hope this helps, for those who are on there natural hair journey, and cannot afford to pay all that money for those overpriced products for black hair. Since when did maintaining natural hair cost so much money!! lol

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm not sure why I am now seeking these comments:S Thanks anonymous above for helping out. Anonymous #1, here is the exact video I used to help me make my lotion. Lotion making is very simple but, like a lot of things, trial and error. Here's the video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gl8VYLtP4_w

    ReplyDelete