Wednesday, 11 January 2012

Soap Box Special: Love Your Natural Hair...But Don't Get Crazy!


It's a new year! Time to reflect on the good and bad things that we have done to our hair. We have come a long way and have done some crazy things! In my effort to have pretty hair, I went overboard. The following are some ridiculous things that I have done while on my quest for luxurious hair.


Marathon Deep Conditioning Sessions:


I used to deep condition my hair every Sunday for eight hours. I would wake up in the morning, wash my hair and apply my deep conditioner. I thought that the longer you leave a deep conditioner on the hair, the better it worked. People, it doesn't work that way. It takes about 10 mins to receive the benefits of a deep conditioner.


Measuring my hair too much.

Hair grows slowly. I learned that the hard way. My silly self was measuring my hair every day hoping that it grew overnight. After a while, I got the hint that my hair grows at a steady pace and it made no sense to keep measuring it.


Search and destroy missions.


If you're unfamiliar with the term, search and destroy means that you go through your hair and find split ends. It is a tedious task...especially if you have lots of hair. I think I was on crack at the time, but I did this twice before I realized how ineffective the process was.


Following YouTube advice religiously.


One of the worst things I have ever done for my hair was take YouTube hair advice at face value. I followed so many trends: Nu Gro, hair mask recipes, defining curls techniques (I don't even have curls), Denman brush (still regretting this to this day), I bought so many products and spent so many hours trying to blindly follow advice. As with any advice, you must adapt it to your situation.

No comments:

Post a Comment