Friday, 26 August 2011

FAQ: Individual Braids

The following are some FAQs that will hopefully address any questions you may have.

What do I need to get started?

I am a person who believes in getting great results with minimal, necessary effort. So, as you can tell by the short list below, I do not use a lot.

  • Moisturized hair ( this is a given, but it doesn't hurt to include it in the list : D)
  • Metal free hair ties- these will help you separate your hair. I find that separated hair is easier to manage.
  • Your hands- you will need your hands to finger detangle(when necessary) and braid your hair

What kind of braid do you do?

I do the basic three-strand plait. If you are unsure of how to do this braid, the internet has multiple sources that can help you. 

What about size?

I stick to medium sized. Too small and they take forever to put in and take out. Too large and my braids look too far apart. I have a weird thing about spacey looking braids:P

How long do your braids usually take to put in?

My braids take about 1.5 hours. 

To take out?

About 2 hours. I get more distracted when removing my braids. Maybe it's because I get so anxious to play with my afro:P

 How is it possible to do all those braids in such a short time? 

 There were times when it took me 3 hours to braid my hair. I'm not sure about other people, but doing anything for 3 hours straight gets old after a while. I wanted to cut my braiding time in half so I did the following things and was successful at doing that: 
  • Don't use a comb to part your hair: When I first started doing my braids, I used to part every row. Taking time to part rows wastes just that...time. The less time you have to start and stop in between braiding, the sooner you will finish. 
  • Do not start and stop: Before you begin braiding, set aside time to start and finish your braids. Yes, life happens and you do have to go to the bathroom occasionally, but what I am suggesting is to eliminate as many things that could prevent you from finishing your braids. This means: run errands, walk the dog, have family time, or  do whatever comes first in your life. 
  • Entertain yourself while braiding: While I normally do not think people multitask very well ( myself included), this is one of the few exceptions to the rule. Braiding hair gets boring...at least for me it does and you guys know how much I love hair!...so it may be beneficial to you to have something to occupy your mind. I personally like to read articles for my classes, watch a movie, listen to music, and watch episodes of Jersey Shore. While keeping occupied, you protect your sanity, stay entertained, and before you know it, your braids are finished. 
Do you do any prep work before braiding?

The most prep work I do is section my hair into fours with my hair ties. I don't finger comb because in the off chance that I find a knot or tangle, I just remove it before I braid the plait. I do not stretch or blow dry my hair because I do not use heat on my hair and I find that braiding my hair stretches it well enough. 

How do you get your braids to look so uniform?

I found that my braids look more natural and uniformed if my braids are not parted with a comb. As I braid, I have a general idea of how big the sections are so I don't need to part each section. 

How do you keep your braids from getting fuzzy?

I put some flax seed gel on my hair and tie it with a satin scarf if I see my braids look really bad. Other than that, my hair is naturally frizzy so I just accept that.

How long do you normally keep your braids in?

3-4 weeks is usually my limit. Any longer and they look rusty! Boy do they look rusty!

How do you get your ends to curl up? 

It is a combination of how my hair naturally curls and the hold I get from flax seed gel. 

Final words? 

I really hope I answered all the questions you guys may have. If not, leave a comment and I will edit this post. Good luck!


3 comments:

  1. Thanks for responding to my questions! 1.5 hours seems so quick! Maybe my hands will get faster with time :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. No problem! Practice is definitely the key. Once you get a hang of the braid itself, muscle memory will help you increase your speed. I don't think I am a fast braider( African braiders! Now, THEY are fast!). I would say my rate is moderate.I do it fast enough to get the job done. That's all you really need.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have trouble braiding close together. Neither do I like alot of space in between my braids, but Idk how to do that. Helppp

    ReplyDelete