Tuesday, 28 June 2011

How To: Flax Seed Gel

        For the longest time, I have been looking for an inexpensive, protein-free, silicone-free, flake-free hair gel. Unfortunately, I haven't been able to find one and had to resort to making one. I'm so glad I did because I absolutely love it! During the summer time when the humidity can ruin a good braid-out or twist-out, this gel is not only water soluble, but it also creates a soft hold while maintaining your style. If you want to learn how to make this simple gel, keep reading:

You will need: 

  • 3 Measuring cups: 1cup, 1tbs, and 1/4cup

  • Flax seeds (organic if possible; I got mine at GNC)


  • Aloe Vera Gel



  • Knee-high stockings (or a strainer if you choose. I find that knee-highs help separate the seeds from the gel really well.)

  • A pot and stove



Directions: 

Taking your measuring cups, measure two cups of water  and 1/4 cups of flax seeds. Pour the two into your pot.





Allow your mixture to boil and stir the seeds to prevent them from sticking to the pot.



Let it boil at medium high heat.



 When it's almost ready it should look like this





While your mixture is getting ready, prepare the panty- hose to get it ready for straining. Roll the hosiery over a small container.



When your mixture is relatively thick, begin to pour it into your covered container and strain you gel.



Strain your mixture mixture really well.



I used spoons because it was kinda hot

Add one tbs of aloe vera gel to lower the pH and help preserve your gel.




Mix the two together and your gel is ready. 

Final result

Put your gel in the refrigerator to make it last longer. 


I like to put mine in a pump bottle ; it makes it easier to use.

Ideally, your gel should have a snot-like consistency. It sounds gross, but it's the best way I can describe it. 



If you're still looking for a good gel, try this one and see if it works for you:D

8 comments:

  1. what are your thoughts on ecostyler gel? I got it a while back but am yet to use it. I heard that constant use of it will change your curl pattern hmmm. will definitely be trying this for twists out. Thanks.
    DB.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I haven't used it myself so I can't with good conscience say it's good or bad. I was considering buying it because it doesn't have any drying alcohol and it's reasonably priced. However, the reason why I chose not to buy it was because it contains protein. I have been trying to avoid using protein in my styling products because it can be easily overused and lead to protein overload.

    I'm not too sure about the curl pattern change because of the product, but your curl pattern may change because of protein overload. So, avoid using too much protein at all cost.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I like flax seed gel. It's perfect for all the reasons you mentioned. I love it for buns and will try it for twist outs.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Mangomadness, I am so glad I discovered it! I highly doubt I will go back to other gels. What proportions do you use to make your gel? Have you found a consistency that works better than another on your hair? I am always curious about what works for other naturals' hair:D

    ReplyDelete
  5. I used the same measurements as you. I boiled them for 10 minutes and strained like you did. I mix in a big swuirt of honey (didn't measure it) because my hair loves honey. I don't mind the consistency--I haven't experimented too much though.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh ok, so many people can use honey on their hair:P My hair HATES the stuff:P Does your hair also like glycerine? If you are looking for a thicker consistency, you can always boil the seeds for longer.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Ohh..I see. That makes sense. I'll try that next time. My hair loves glycerin as well.

    ReplyDelete
  8. is it important to lower the PH? i dont add anything to my gel once its done...

    ReplyDelete